When I started to write this morning, the word teach came to mind. Teach, teacher, taught, to be taught.
I sat down yesterday in from a computer ready to document the last 30 days. Indeed I was not ready. I have been thinking over the past few days what I was going to write about, how I was going to summarize the experiences over the past 30 days with my PIRO family. So much has gone through my head since my family of six has gone home to their families. I thought about the wisdom they bestowed upon me, I thought about how I interacted with them and I thought about what they taught me each day. You see, so many are quick to write off the opinions or ideas of young people. Remarking that younger people think they know or have experienced everything that life has to offer. While that is certainly not the case, it IS the case that young people, just as the old and the very young, have amazing things to offer.
For my first crew with SCA I was assigned to spend 30 days with six high schoolers from ages 16-18. I was nervous, and thought many times "What the hell am I doing?" The thought of spending 24/7 with a group of people regardless of the age, for 30 days is a bit daunting. Boy was I in for a surprise. The past 30 days have been some of the most special, and most eye opening times of my life. You see, these six people, these six life forms, six humans, 6 young adults, are truly what brought me back to myself. They are the force, the push I needed to realize Who Is Nathan Karol, and what is he all about? Neither they, or I realized this however, until now.
This group of special people began boding from the moment they arrived together. In fact, on day 3 of our journey, it was asked "How many days have we been together?" It seemed like a month had gone by already. The closeness of this group was astounding. There were times in our journey where we had opportunities to talk, to share stories, and be quite candid about life. Have you ever been with a person or group of people who through their questions and actions bring back such vivid memories of times past? It makes one wonder if these people somehow were a part of that life in some way. I mentioned earlier about teaching. What does all of this have to do with teaching you ask? Well, when one is passionate about something, passing that passion on is very easy. I know that for me the past few years have been about exploration - about learning, realizing and fulfilling. Fulfilling the dream of doing something that I love, passing that on to others and all the while not just being a teacher, but being taught and being rejuvenated by those around me.
Just the other day a gentleman by the name of Bob Maxon, a park service employee, and I were having a conversation mainly about life, about journeys and about doing what makes one happy. In that conversation, Bob said something to me that hit home. He said that he did not indeed need to wish me success, or even say goodbye, as he knows that great success is coming to me, and that we will see each other again in the future. He also commented that I always look so happy, so energetic, and am always smiling. Thank you Bob, for noticing. You see, family can do that to a person. All types of family. Bob's comment struck me because for the past year or so, while at TBS many had remarked about how I didn't look happy, looked stressed, something just wasn't right. This was indeed true, but the reason being that it was indeed time for me to try on something new, to move on to something that I had been testing for a while now - being outside, being with young people, and living simply. I can relate the feeling to putting on a suit jacket that you've grown out of. It's familiar, but now uncomfortable, and if you don't shed it, you're going to burst at the seams!
Back to teaching -- I've always felt that the classroom is a special place, but that not all learning can or should happen in a room with 4 walls, flourescent lights, and a blackboard. Young people, or people in general flourish when given the chance to be creative - in my case, get dirty, climb a tree, dig a hole. Out of the box learning. I have most certainly been blessed to be put in the role of a teacher who takes students outside. Over the last 30 days I was able to watch my family of 7 (that includes my co-leader Kara) flourish. Not only when climbing a tree or digging a hole, but learning life lessons from one another at the very same time. Point being - learning does not need to be structured. Learning can happen just like that, with no lesson plan, no cirruculum, no plan to even set out to learn something. A beautiful example; my crew and I set out one Sunday morning with tools in hand, ready to clear a section of trail that we had not yet explored. We spent some time stretching, and moved along the trail. About 20 minutes down the trail I noticed an open field about 50 yards off the trail. The field was blanketed with tall grass and only a few trees, one of them a perfect climbing tree. We made our way to the field, looked around and were drawn to this gorgeous tree. We took turns climbing our family tree together. We explored the field a bit more and ended up, as we did a lot through this journey, sitting in a circle. Conversation started to flow, triggered by a curious question from Kara. I don't remember the exact phrasing of that question now, but it lead all of us to talk about life memories or moments in life we recall vividly. We arrived at the field just prior to 12:30p that Sunday, and did not leave until after 3:30p. We shared many life stories, we questioned things, we cried and we laughed. Most importantly we taught. Each person taught everyone else something about themself and about their life. I do believe that my point, if one is even needed is that we had not set out to teach or learn in this manner on this day, but, by letting simple moments happen we created an experience that each of us will never forget. The remaining days of work and play seemed to all be centered around this theme - go with the flow, savor the moments, let it happen. When our time together as the PIROmaniac family was coming to an end I gathered everyone together asking them to for a tight circle. At first everyone came together and stood around, rather loosely. As I explained to them, the purpose of an appreciation circle they came together tighter, wrapping arms around one another. The appreciation circle is a method of recognition taught to me by my Playback Theater teacher and mentor Nancy Capaccio. It is an excercise of centering and warmth. In our circle we all shared something we appreciated about someone else. We shared thoughts and truths together. Some expected, some unexpected. We again taught, and were taught by each other
By our very last day together, Kara had flown out early that morning. I was now with "our kids" for the remainder of the day. It was a strange feeling now that a part of "us" was missing. This would continue to happen throughout the day as members departed. It was like an elephant in the room - we did not want to address it, but knew that leaving was going to affect everyone, and differently.
When it came time to leave my "family" at the airport I took a moment after everyone was checked in to flights, to have a final "see you soon" - it was indeed not goodbye - just see you later - L'hitraot, in Hebrew. I hugged each one of "my kids" sharing with them little bits of advice - be yourself, believe in yourself, keep going, keep doing, keep growing.
The next day I went to the local cafe for lunch. Having been mostly focused on work that day, finishing up paperwork etc. I was surprised when a gal behind the counter, whom the group had met a few times before said " You're all alone today!" I responded yes, and told her that I didn't know what to do with myself without seven people behind me. While that may have been my first answer, I think my true answer is "I am not alone, I am surrounded". Surrounded by experiences and memories, teachings and lessons. Filled with light from seven different sources.
When wishing someone well, the first words that come in to my mind are often that of the preistly blessing. The words are true, provide a sense of security and wish one well.
For PIRO:
May there be a force that blesses and keeps you
May the radiance of the sky the water and the forests shine upon you
May the memories of our experiences together awaken you with smiles
and may you take with you all that was given to you by each member of your family
Peace, love and dirt
Nathan
No comments:
Post a Comment